Digital Content Advice
I had a conversation with a friend recently which reminded be about some advice that a pro photographer gave me years ago as we were considering transitioning to digital. “Reformat your memory cards often.” I don’t know that this is as essential as it might have once been, but I do know that I’ve heard more stories about lost photos and video as we all are using our digital cameras and phones for our only devices and it’s certainly a potential horror show situation if you lose a slew of photography or video for business or personal reasons, so here are a couple of key things to think about:
- Reformat digital media cards often to start with a clean slate – do this after you’ve transferred your media of course!
- Backup, backup, backup. A friend just mentioned that her phone wiped itself and she only lost 2 photos due to having backed up recently.
- On the backup note, I backup using Time Machine, but I also automatically push all of my photos to Flickr and videos to YouTube – using the private setting until reviewed – for safe keeping.
- Don’t transfer images or video when the camera’s battery is low and don’t remove a card until the operation you’re performing is finished.
- If you have any other tips or suggestions – please leave them in the comments below!
Comments are closed.