Posts tagged transfer
I’ve been using Wordpress on various projects over the years and one of the things that has always been a bit disappointing to me is the difficulty of moving a blog, from a development site to production or from one host to another. It’s easy enough to use the export content function, but in configuring and building a good-looking and working blog, there are so many configurations, widgets, menus and more that are setup and need to be setup again that I always spend way more time than it seems necessary going through all the entire CMS to make sure I’ve made all the updates.
I recently helped a friend move their move and since he had a ton of custom work done on it, I didn’t want to go through this process again. Instead I used a great plugin called Duplicator which made the process amazingly easy.
- First, you download and install the plugin in the WordPress CMS of the blog that you are wanting to move.
- Next, you run the plugin and create a “package set” that you will need to download to your local computer.
- You then will need to create an empty MySQL database on your new web server.
- Then upload your package set to an empty directory on the new server.
- Click the installer file, enter a few configuration file entries and in a few minutes, you will have moved you WordPress site to a new host, exactly as it was on the previous one.
I’m no WordPress guru, but this plugin worked exactly as described and is one I will certainly look to use again if I ever have the need.Photo credit: Flickr user JimmyMac